Tuesday, June 27, 2006

On June 24th and 25th Geoff and I went on a hiking trip to Zell am See, Austria. The first day we hiked on our own to the Kitzloch Klamm (Gorge).This picture is of the first waterfall we stumbled upon.


















Geoff in a cave.
















Another waterfall along the hike.

















Only Geoff would hike in a nice polo shirt. Isn't he cute?!






























Geoff and I at a lookout point towards Taxenbach.















I never imagined fern thriving in Austria but it obviously does!




Me relaxing at the hotel's restaurant.











On the second day of our trip we had a Austrian hiking guide. A bus took us 1000 meters (3,300 feet) up a mountain to a small gausthaus where we began our hike. Here's Geoff as we begin.


These are the markers for the mountain top we hiked to "Dog or hund stone".

When you see large mountains usually at the tops you can see snow year round. We were amazed that we had actually gotten so high that there was still snow. The wire is an electric fence to keep the cows and sheep on their land.


If you look to the very center of your screen you should see a tiny house. The house is on Hundstein, where we want to be, eventually.
This is a little house along the trail that had a trough of well water for the cows. We used it to fill our camel back and to wash our faces. That had to be some of the best water I have ever tasted!




Look how everyone turns to see if I am going to fall or not!








Almost there!!

THERE!!!!

Geoff in the snow...


We made it to the top!!! The final elevation was 2,117 meters (6,949 feet). Of that we climbed approximately 3,400 feet.

After a light lunch of tuna and crackers we started our trek back down the mountains. I may dare to say that going down was much harder then going up.
This is a few of the Zell am See. See is the German word for lake.

Our detour along the way down. We ended up climbing over all this timber to get back onto our path.


And finally, a picture of me washing up in some small rapids.

Our hike took us 8 miles in just under 7 hours to complete. We then took a nap in the bus going home.



Thanks so much for viewing our blog! Check back when you can!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Bonnie, I added the miles and time information. I meant to do it originally but I forgot. Thanks all for posting!

Jennifer said...

Thank you all for taking the time to sign up to leave a comment. I know what a pain it is. We are off to Amsterdam tomorrow so check back Wednesday or so. Love to you all! Jen

Dawn said...

you are the best blogger ever jennifer.. Geoff should be so proud of you .. love the pictures!!!