Christmas markets are a very popular tradition here in Germany. Most cities and some small towns host their own market each year. I had hoped to visit one each weekend but I only made it to two: Ansbach, the town closest to us, and Nürnberg, although I did go twice. The markets have lots of different crafts and food such as candy-see the picture on the left-, sausages, crepes, chocolate covered fruit, and lebkuchen-ginger type cookies and cake. It's really and food lover's dream which is why I wanted to go to one every weekend but Mother Nature had other plans. Ohh well, there is always next year....and the next.





Nürnberg is the country's largest Christmas market so the town is insane on the weekends. So, we decided to take the train into the town. Plus, we wanted to be able to take advantage of the Glühwein, a mulled hot wine.
View from the train to Nürnberg
Geoff drinking his Glühwein. He didn't like it or the boot.
Mmmmm, Glühwein
More Glühwein-the best part is you get to keep the mugs!
Since Germany does not have Thanksgiving, they don't have Black Friday. So, my friend Lyndsay and I made our own. We went to Ikea and shopping in downtown Nürnberg and it just so happened it was the opening day of the Christmas market.

No comments:
Post a Comment