Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Trash to Treasure

Recently, I've been waisting my time stealing ideas, I mean being inspired by various decorating blogs. I've wanted a buffet for a while now, so when we moved here and found that there was plenty of room for one, I set out on a search. I found this ugly thing for $40 at the post thrift store:



I was actually pretty embarrassed to be seen with this monstrosity as Geoff and one of his soldiers carried it out of the store. I started by cleaning the beast, taking off all the hardware, and sanding it down. I was really worried I would not be able to get this thing to look like I wanted it to because it is made of pressed wood and laminate, but with the results of my desk a few years ago, I wanted to at least try. I read up on blogs, found out the specific things I needed, then emailed Katrin to find out what these things are called in German. I worried even more when I could not find any paint on primer; all they had at the local hardware store was spray paint primer. Thankfully the primer worked and here is the result:


This one is blurry but I wanted you to see the top.

And here it is along one wall of the dinning room:

I am going to wait a few days before I put some things on top of it to make it even more beautiful, but I couldn't wait to show you all.

5 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I LOVE it!!! And I really love the hardware! You did awesome, now you get to come do my furniture! hahaha!

Michele said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job, you inspire me!

The Ballards said...

That is AWESOME! LOVE the silverware on the wall too!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

smjohnson said...

That's gorgeous! And red?! Geez...if I didn't know you, I'd swear you liked red!

Jennifer said...

Sarah, can you believe it's red?
Amy B. I stole the idea from Pottery Barn but paid half the price!
Thanks Michele!
Lyndsay, name the day and I will be there!